Sunday, January 22, 2012

Angry Emails, Word Vomit

Hi Everyone!! Sorry I haven't updated this yet but it's really only been about 4 days.  I'm never in my room except for when I sleep. I'm currently in the library and we're passing some island and I really don't know what it is, there's a weird rock thing sticking out from the ocean. So I'm kind of confused. I'll just chronicle how everything has gone so far (written as just taken out of my journals)

 

I came aboard the ship on the 19th and it is absolutely AMAZING. I can't believe I'm finally here. It was SO disgustingly hot when I was waiting for the check in process to happen. The woman we saw all around the resort happened to be standing in line two ahead of us and her son is my neighbor.

 

I didn't sign up for any more trips which, in retrospect, was kind of stupid. I really should have signed up for more home stay and service trips but I guess as those come closer I can? I don't know, I hope so! Otherwise looks like I'm actually going to have to join the peace corps. I finally met my roommate and I'm happy with her. K reminds me EXACTLY of my cousin H. She's cool and I think we'll get along. I'm kind of nervous for classes to start tomorrow just because I don't want to be overwhelmed by the professors, which happens relatively easily. I don't know, it'll be interesting though FOR SURE. I've met a lot of REALLY cool people who I really like so far so I'm super excited about that. I'm not happy that the ship workout facilities are reserved for crew, faculty, and staff from the hours of 0530-0800. I really wanted to get up in the morning and work out before Chem but I'll have to find another way to go. I'm also super bummed I didn't print out pictures for my wall but I guess I'll do them at another time? Not sure.

 

There is actually not a lot of room to put ANYTHING, everyone was right. I over packed and so did K so this will be interesting. There's still some stuff that we (mostly I) want to get for the room like handsoap and more hangers and stuff but we'll revisit that when we get to Dominica (which I still pronounce Dough-mih-nih-kuh not Dough-mih-knee-kuh). Whatever, I guess I am a "stupid tourist".

 

Because of the visa problems, we stayed in port in Nassau last night. It was kind of rough. I thought I was starting to feel sea-sick but that's nothing until you've actually felt the ship moving. We had orientation and my friend C and I were just lulled to sleep by the motion of the ocean and the fact that we wanted to puke. Looks like I've done a lot of things so far that are stupid. I keep looking out my window to see if I can see anything and it's crazy how fast we're going. It's also weird to see that the wall and the window will gradually go up (and tilt) and then down (and tilt). I was drinking out of my nalgene in the meeting and my whole body moved forward because we were going through waves. I assume it will get better.

 

We have to return to Nassau tonight so in the 24 hours where we should have been en route to Dominica, we've been in port in Nassau until noon and we're returning to pick up the rest of the "23" in between 5 and 8 and then FINALLY make our way on our voyage! I guess that means we "gain" an extra stop? And speaking of! We now stop in Honolulu AND Hilo! :) I'm so excited, I absolutely LOVE Hawaii. I really want to stay overnight there but it's just hard because they're separate islands. I guess we'll figure it out, it's SO far in advance. We haven't even made it officially OUT of our first port yet! I dont' really know where we are right now, I guess we're just burning fuel out there and we'll be back. The view is gorgeous and once I'm  used to the seasickness, it'll DEFINITELY be better. Can't wait for rolls and pasta and rice at dinner tonight :) Not sure what to do with myself, just going a little stircrazy. I need to get super involved or pick up more classes.

 

sitting in the union still makes me super seasick and the first global studies class today was torturous. That class is going to be BRUTAL. There are just way too many sound effects and different colors for me to really enjoy it. I was half asleep and I took those kind of notes like I did in high school where thy would turn into scribbles and my eyes would cross. I came back and took Dramamine and passed out for 2 and a half hours. The rocking of the ship really is just like a cradle. I shopped at the bookstore a bit and tried to make my own calendar... Didn't work out too well. I feel like I spent most of my time on the pool deck, as I imagine most of my days WILL be spent. There was a lecture tonight about how to take good pictures and stuff and it was so pedestrian and basic, I was SO bored with it. P and I went to find our tshirts from the guy but he decided to stay on the deck and never come back. So I think I'll harass him about them tomorrow. Seriously, I paid $20 for them, I better get it. We played bananagrams again and it was super fun. Shit hit the fan about FDPs today so I think in Dominica we're going to rent a cabin with wifi? I'm not sure how that will work but K heard that it's like $100 a night for 10 people or so... SUPER CHEAP. I'm really happy the way my FDP schedule worked out right now, I hope I can keep them like this! Fingers crossed! I guess I better get to sleep, it's 1:43 and our clocks are set ahead an hour... I'm reaaaaally going to look forward to the extra hour we gain on fall back in November. Speaking of, when we jump ahead an hour, will we technically be jumping ahead 2?! Things I guess I'll never know... til I ask.

 

Today, G, C, and I are trying to figure out our plans for Dominica. Apparently everyone has their stuff booked so this is going to be difficult. I had two of my classes today and LOVED them both. I'm not sure really what else to say. This is definitely going to be a lot of word vomit, sorry. Just trying to make everyone happy! I have an FDP tomorrow with the Carib Indians and I'm excited, we'll see how it goes. Until tomorrow!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment