Saturday, October 8, 2011

Getting Started

After months of pining, questioning, writing, applying and hoping, I'm officially in. I'm going to spend the spring semester of 2012 on Semester at Sea! I don't think I could have designed a better program for myself if I tried. Don't get me wrong, I've loved (mostly, aside from the angsty teenage years) where I grew up, where I went to camp (always. no angst about that.) and mostly where I'm at school now. But I want to travel. My old passport consisted of stamps to Cancun, Santo Domingo and La Romana, Dominican Republic and I think that's it. The only place on the SAS itinerary that I've been to is the Bahamas, but as a 5th grader (living the DREAM) on the Disney Cruise with my best friends (ask me their names now.) I didn't get off the boat. I've been to O'ahu and Kaua'i but never Hilo, Hawai'i; can't wait to get back to those islands.

Now that the initial shock and obsession has worn off with my acceptance, I need to start planning. I check the SAS Facebook page ALL the time, have inserted my two cents into everything and am attempting to get to know people before we set off on the trip of a lifetime. I've started to create my bucket list along with compile a packing list and a list of things that have to get done. That's the title of my blog, I've always wanted to circumnavigate the globe SOMEHOW. I definitely got the boat idea from Seth Cohen, always trying to take the Summer Breeze to Tahiti. It's just amazing how many things that I want to do can be accomplished on SAS. I'm already lamenting the fact that I can only be in each country for like 5 days. I'm also praying that the port of Dominica changes to Cuba. That would just be ideal.

Even though I can't wait to get out of the country and started on this journey, I'm definitely going to miss a lot of creature comforts. Not emailing/texting little one liners to my parents will be difficult, good thing I'm teaching them both how to use BBM and waking them up at all hours of the night. Not sitting on Facebook and skyping with all the camp friends will be hard too. But it's time for a change. I need a change of scenery, of people, of ideas, of philosophy. Now I guess it's time that I start studying for some midterms, I'll never get anything done if I continue to pine over the impending semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment